Wednesday, May 17, 2006

It's Cool to be Old School

Seriously have I talked about Old School Nintendo yet? My roomates and I are freaking out about all the games we have just acquired from our friend Andy. Nintendo has had a resurrection of sorts in my life...for years video games were dead to me. I considered them time wasting devices that only the true blue stereotypical "game nerds" spent countless hours on, ignoring their mom and the outside world all together. You know the type...crazy hair...X-men T-shirt. Yeah. And man do they love video-games. Well, I ignored video games for years. I felt like they were the enemy. Hiding in trenches, behind bushes, ready to attack my time with hours of pixlelized digital annimation. Recently, when a Nintendo somehow found it's way into our living room, we became once again...entrigued..

For those of you who received your first Nintendo for Christmas or a Birthday in the 80's, you know what I'm talking about. I mean what's better than two games in one, Super Mario and Duck Hunt. Don't you just hate that dog who laughs at you everytime you miss the ducks? Were you always the one who got up one inch from the T.V. with the gun and still couldn't hit those blasted ducks. Me too.

Now there's also Contra. It's a shooting game where these army guys shoot and do flips at the same time. It's sweet. My roomate Phil is crazy about this game. He told me tonight if he could leave church and play Contra he would. There's something totally wrong about leaving church to play video games. Can't say I didn't think about it...that's why at Oneighty we have video games here. All these new systems we have, the 360 and Playstation...they cannot compare to what is vintage and true.

OK Here's the real deal. I'm totally a huge geek for writing the last 3 paragraphs and should not be allowed to blog anymore. Those of you with grace, please note I have recently found that Nintendo is fun again. I don't play it all the time, but for the brief moments that I do I am brought back to my childhood (those carefree days with bowl-cuts and hammer pants) and until the day I put the Old School Nintendo back in it's box and let it again collect dust for 20 years I will cherish these moments. Random thought ending now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you ARE cool to be old school, not to mention funny! I laughed out loud at you on this one, but good thing right, otherwise we would not be friends?! Thanks for ALWAYS making me laugh! ~Sarah